On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 12:18, Franki wrote:
> maybe they are learning.. albiet slowly..
>
> They did not put a dictator in charge of afganistan... they tried to start a
> democracy if memory serves...

Poor wording on my part - I was referring to the Millions of dollars in
aid, weapons and training provided to Al Queda in the 80s, and the
millions of dollars that Dubya's administration gave to the Taliban in
2001.

And what is democratic about having your leader appointed by a foreign
authority, anyhow?

> I can only assume they would do the same in Iraq.. if not because they
> learned from history. then because there is no military power in iraq now
> that the US could aid in taking power..  Saddam saw to that...

Dictators are a better bet than democracy, at least from an economic
standpoint.  The people of the country suffer, but you can't make an
omelet (i.e. get access to cheap Oil in this case) without breaking a
few eggs (i.e. murdering millions of civilians.)  While we're learning
from history, see U.S. involvement in Guatemala, Chile, Nicaragua, El
Salvador for some examples.

Wow - I've not yet seen a single message related to Mandrake on here
since I joined.  I take that as an encouraging sign, the more dialog on
these issues, the better off we all will be.

My $.03, now.

Mick