On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 11:29, Franki wrote:
> Those who do not heed the past are destined to repeat it.. so he is at least
> making an effort to stop something before it happens now.. history is full
> of cases where no action was taken till it was too late..  who knows, he
> might actually stop the next 9/11, but he will get no praise for it.. but if
> he went and gained retribution AFTER the act had taken place, he'd be called
> an American hero or words to that effect.. just as he did with 9/11 and
> Afghanistan... He would probably rather be a hero then an unremembered
> nobody.. but still he is making an effort to stop something happening BEFORE
> it kills a heap of people..

Gotta jump in here and point out that a long line of American
interventions into the affairs of sovereign nations show that American
foreign policy is certainly not "heeding the past" today.

Long line of friendly dictators installed by Americans that turn into
enemies.  The "enemy of my enemy" approach doesn't seem to work out so
well, either.

Shah in Iran, Pinochet in Chile, Noriega in Panama, Al Queda and then
the Taliban in Afganistan, Saddam in Iraq .. who's going to be added to
this list when Saddam falls?

I think you'd need to be quite ignorant of history to be willing to risk
a repeat performance here..

My $.02.

Mick