On Monday 03 February 2003 03:40 am, Ron Stodden wrote:
> Vincent Danen wrote:
> > Sure, but everything tested out fine with the secteam, with QA, and
> > with me.  Without knowing the symtomd (nevermind the packages), how can
> > we fix it?  You presume too much.
> >
> > Tell us what got "clobbered".  My 9.0 machines, with all updates
> > applied, are rock solid.
>
> Alas!  My reply was inadvertenly attached to James Sparenburgs's
> message below.   My apologies.
>
> All Linux partitions on both machines worked perfectly for about 6
> months after
> expert installation.  Then these problems started appearing on 3 of the
> partitions.
>
> Interestingly, a reinstall did not fix anything, like it does with
> Windows 98
> (but _NOT_ always) - which is a serious requirements or design problem with
> the Mandrake installer.

I had two Mandrake Linux systems fail with disk in a horrible state in the
past six months. Both were SiS AMD boards, the last a K7S6A (SiS745).

Both hard disks came back to life with a low level format (One an IBM ATA 100
40GB drive, the other a Maxtor).

I replaced the motherboard in the first system and have used it as a
developoment machine/workstation for months without incident.

The second system I reloaded with (gasp!) W2K which appeared to go well but
within a week started acting flaky. Software installations failed, and simple
tasks like burning CDs showed instability in disk throughput (fluctuating)
buffer levels).

After replacing the motherboard in the second system with a VIA chipset board
(MS6378), the system appears to be rock solid.

I am convinced that hardware is a factor in many bug reports. If bug reports
included motherboard/CPU/diskdrive we might spot a correlation in a matter of
weeks.

Jim Tarvid