On Monday 03 February 2003 05:27 am, tarvid wrote:
> On Monday 03 February 2003 03:40 am, Ron Stodden wrote:
> > Vincent Danen wrote:
> > > Sure, but everything tested out fine with the secteam, with QA, and
> > > with me.  Without knowing the symtomd (nevermind the packages), how can
> > > we fix it?  You presume too much.
> > >
> > > Tell us what got "clobbered".  My 9.0 machines, with all updates
> > > applied, are rock solid.
> >
> > Alas!  My reply was inadvertenly attached to James Sparenburgs's
> > message below.   My apologies.
> >
> > All Linux partitions on both machines worked perfectly for about 6
> > months after
> > expert installation.  Then these problems started appearing on 3 of the
> > partitions.
> >
> > Interestingly, a reinstall did not fix anything, like it does with
> > Windows 98
> > (but _NOT_ always) - which is a serious requirements or design problem
> > with the Mandrake installer.
>
> I had two Mandrake Linux systems fail with disk in a horrible state in the
> past six months. Both were SiS AMD boards, the last a K7S6A (SiS745).
>
> Both hard disks came back to life with a low level format (One an IBM ATA
> 100 40GB drive, the other a Maxtor).
>
> I replaced the motherboard in the first system and have used it as a
> developoment machine/workstation for months without incident.
>
> The second system I reloaded with (gasp!) W2K which appeared to go well but
> within a week started acting flaky. Software installations failed, and
> simple tasks like burning CDs showed instability in disk throughput
> (fluctuating) buffer levels).
>
> After replacing the motherboard in the second system with a VIA chipset
> board (MS6378), the system appears to be rock solid.
>
> I am convinced that hardware is a factor in many bug reports. If bug
> reports included motherboard/CPU/diskdrive we might spot a correlation in a
> matter of weeks.

Hey Jim, I would agree with you on the hardware. Any chance you are using an
ATI card? I had an ATI Radeon all in wonder and had all kinds of weird
problems. The worst was it would run for a week to 10 days and totally trash
my hard drive data. I took back motherboards, drives... until someone
suggested I go to Nvidia. Not a single problem since. ??