On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 19:22, David E. Fox wrote:

> > This is a multi-part message in MIME format...
> > Failing that, why the tmpfs voodoo and is there anything wrong with
> > blowing it away and using plain old fashioned disk space for /tmp?
>
> Well, would Solaris recognize it as such?

Sorry to confuse things... I'm using Mandrake, and its behavior seems to
be copying Solaris behavior, which led to some tangential stories about
Solaris.

> I don't know what filesystem format tmpfs is, but I guess it might be
> UFS. I've never used Solaris, so that's just a wild guess.

It's something in the Linux kernel, related to ramfs, but I can't find
tmpfs in the kernel source.

> You might consider using a (if available) small or extra
> swap partition, detach it, and then format it appropriately and mount
> it. When you're done, turn it into swap again. It's sort of like
> sharing swap space between OSes but not exactly.

I've got buckets of swap (771M) from when I was mucking with a broken
swsusp beta, so I don't think that effects things. I'm just going to
have to come back and read all the tmpfs stuff when I'm not really tired
and see if it makes sense then.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...