On Saturday 08 March 2003 04:14 am, J. Grant wrote:
> I have a computer with only 128MB ram, it chuggs along very slowly in X
> Windows. in fstab there is a /tmp tempfs ramdisk, I commented it out so
> that it now uses the root /tmp.  However, performace is still about the
> same, odd considering there should be about 64MB of ram extra available.
>   Any ideas on speeding up this computer with only 128MB ram (more ram
> is not an option unfortunatly as the mobo has a broken socket, and 256MB
> ram does not work in the remaining socket).
>
> Cheers
>
> JG

Well try a light WM like Blackbox with the ROX file manager.  I think there
are some posts about creating desktop icons in that situation in the newbie
archives.  KDE is hitting the disk ALL the time with positioning of windows
update info, so disk buffering/caching is very very important to its
performance.

Civileme