On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > With all due respect to you all, but I don`t like the idea one bit. It
> > means
> > Mandrakesoft has a line into my taskbar which I did not ask for. Just as I
> > don`t like Microsoft working interactively with my computer, or other
> > adware/spyware calling home when I still used Windows, I wouldn`t like
> > Mandrakesoft to have a thread into any corner of my boxes. If it`s an
> > optional package,  fine I won`t use it. If it comes built in the distro I
> > will disable it, remove it or whatever it takes to avoid it. It goes
> > against
> > my sense of privacy. Maybe not to that of others, very well, but I don`t
> > like the idea.
>
> I've been looking at many of the auto-update features for different
> distros. RedHat keeps a central database of installed packages if you use
> their up2date mechanism, and this would probably irk many users. However,
> most of the others seem to be passive updaters. I.e., they pull down a
> list of packages and compare them locally *without* sending any
> information to a central database. In any case, Mandrake's really cool
> distributed update system would likely preclude an update mechanism that
> needed a single database.
>
> I would like to see a centralized management console for Mandrake systems.
> The designated management station could maintain a list of updates as some
> sort of server; the clients (whether local on on the LAN or 'Net) could
> then query the central server and update the local package database. This
> would be useful because it allows an operator to get an idea of a system's
> patch status without needing the machine to be online. The central server
> need not be an official site, but could be another machine on the LAN that
> you control.

urpmi + mirroring software and you have it.  I run/ran actually one in
my last position.  I just used fmirror to keep in sync with one of the
MDK mirrors for each distro.  This included the hdlist.cz then I just
did an addmedia for my update server and pointed it at the box on my lan
instead of one of the mandrake mirrors.  We later set it up so that the
directory that got synced and the one that people pulled from where not
the same one.  This way I could manually run rpm -K on all the rpms to
verify sig and md5checksum before I put it on my network.  Then I'd sync
the two directories.  Remove the old version in case it was a 2nd
update, and I'd be off and running.  With urpmi.udpate -a and urpmi
-update --auto-select in a cron job the boxes would update themselves
every night.  Works well too.  If I wanted to add a local rpm to the
update list I would put it in the dir and then run genhdlist against it
and I'd have me new hdlist.cz.  I even put the cd's on the lan this way
so that if someone needed to install something all they had to do was
run urpmi and it was available.  (I would disable the CD listings and
just have networked ones.)  No need for special software just a bit of
time (one day in fact) and set it up.

James