On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 11:13, Jack Coates wrote:

> Red Hat definitely sucks pretty bad. I've been having to do a lot of
> work with 6.2 and 7.3 lately, building test environments to recreate
> customer-discovered bugs in. Man, I miss urpmi. up2date is just flatout
> broken in 6.2 (way out of support window, tell that to the thousands of
> customers still using it), and on 7.3 I've actually been installing
> Ximian's Red Carpet to get something that can do dependencies worth a
> damn.

While I can't argue that RedHat's own update method stinks I would point
out that there are alternatives (albeit inconvenient at least initially
since you need to add them manually). The k12ltsp distro is a pure
RedHat du jour with certain package enhancements (mostly added packages
though a couple of them like dhcpd are just modified) and includes both
yum and apt-get. There are repositories with official redhat packages
for both update managers. Personally, I have found either one at least
as easy to use as urpmi. We use K12os or Yellowdog on all our servers
depending upon platform (x86, PPC). I'm a Mandrake user on my
workstation and have been since 7.1.

I know that the yum package is available for rh7.3 too (thought apt-get
was but I can't find it). On rh6.2 you're probably out of luck as that's
pretty old and I'm not aware of too many aside from Debian who were
running a 'urpmi' type package manager back then.

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/yum/

Actually, as I look at it, if you add the following site to yum.conf
(following the pattern already established in the file) it looks like
you can 'yum update' all the way back to 6.2 - didn't know that.

http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/8.0/i386/ ... [os,updates]

I don't know 'how up to date' the 6.2 updates would be though as RH is
almost certainly not doing them anymore.

You seem to expect a lot out of them with regard to the updates. Does
anyone keep updates for a distro that far back? It would appear Mandrake
doesn't go back beyond 8.2 for current updates.

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...