On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 02:02, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 12:43, Jack Coates wrote:
> > Steffen Barszus wrote:

> > > Yep agree. It would be a horror to spam the lists !!!Getting it four
> > > times with an interest in security even five times ? No way. I inform
> > > me on what i'm interested in. running urpmi update in cron and looking
> > > sometimes on mandrakesecure should be enough. Even on servers.
> > >
> > > Steffen
> >
> > I'm on Bugtraq -- I get the alert once from mandrakesecure, once from
> > Mandrake's message to bugtraq, and once from every other Linux
> > distributor out there, in addition to the original discovery argument.
> >
> > Mandrake is typically pretty slow about updates compared to RH and
> > Gentoo, but hopefully that'll change if/when they hire Vincent some
> > minions :-)
>
> Dunno here Jack.  MDK and SuSE are ssh patched.  RH is still 6 versions
> behind in the last (a while back too) update for anything but 9.  I have
> noticed that for every 5 or 6 notices I get from RH I get 1 from either
> SuSE or Mandrake.  Lotta times, it's just bug fixes for things like
> compiling kernels (think 8.0 and 7.0) So I'm not sure if RH patches
> faster or has more bugs to fix. *grin*
>
> James

Red Hat definitely sucks pretty bad. I've been having to do a lot of
work with 6.2 and 7.3 lately, building test environments to recreate
customer-discovered bugs in. Man, I miss urpmi. up2date is just flatout
broken in 6.2 (way out of support window, tell that to the thousands of
customers still using it), and on 7.3 I've actually been installing
Ximian's Red Carpet to get something that can do dependencies worth a
damn.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...