Anne Wilson schrieb am Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:04:03 +0100:

> On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 3:38 pm, Eric Huff wrote:
> >
> > But, if someone reads our entire list and gets to a link at the
> > bottom, they can, if interested, look into it more.  We could
> > expand the  "The 'rules' of internet usage..." line to emphasize
> > "If you are interested...".
> >

> I think if I were reading it for the first time, I would think 'OK -
> that's what they want.'  Then when I got to the bottom, I would
> probably say 'I'll have a look at that sometime' - and I'd probably
> forget about it.  But it's there if anyone does want/need it.

I go along with Eric's point of view, especially with the sideline "if
you are interested.

What I'd like to have mentioned in the main text is that the RFCs are
just what they are: a Request For Comments. Nothing more nothing less.

Background:
There are the usual list-nazis - as you put it - in nearly every list
and newsgroup, ok. But having peeked into German lists and especially
newsgroups it struck me that there are people who regard the RFCs as
*laws*. If you violate them you get near legal prosecution, so it
sometimes seems when you read the postings.

Although this is a bit more laid-back in international lists (we Germans
need our rules and walls) it may be a point to be explained to the noob.

wobo