Anne Wilson wrote:
On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 3:38 pm, Eric Huff wrote:

Would a link to one of the many copies of RFC 1855 such
as this one be relevant here? It could be quoted as a
more thorough authority.

HTML
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3

Not to be a spoil sport but isn't this a bit much? 6 or 7 points and requests from my peers is sufficient to guide me.

I'm in two minds. Personally I prefer the informal, but there
are those who only defer to authority. I don't mind either way. Give it today to get some opinions, then I'll go with the
majority.

I personally also prefer the informal.

But, if someone reads our entire list and gets to a link at the
bottom, they can, if interested, look into it more.  We could
expand the  "The 'rules' of internet usage..." line to emphasize
"If you are interested...".

I don't feel strongly either way, so i'll also just side with the
majority (which, of course, doesn't help in creating a majority :).

eric

I think if I were reading it for the first time, I would think 'OK - that's what they want.' Then when I got to the bottom, I would probably say 'I'll have a look at that sometime' - and I'd probably forget about it. But it's there if anyone does want/need it.

Anne

I think it is good to have the links as they are. No one will follow them unless they want to know more and it is better to provide the opportunity for more information to those who would like it. It also provides some 'weight' to the informal presentation of protocol.

Rolf