On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:36:47 -0700
James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 13:32, Eric Huff wrote:
> >
> > > Would a link to one of the many copies of RFC 1855 such as this
> > > one be relevant here? It could be quoted as a more thorough
> > > authority.
> > >
> > > HTML
> > > http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3
> > >
> > > Plain Text
> > > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
> >
> > Yeah, good idea.
> >

> Not to be a spoil sport but isn't this a bit much?  6 or 7 points and
> requests from my peers is sufficient to guide me.  An RFC is a magnet
> for all kinds of List Nazi action, debates on interpretation etc.
> Besides this RFC is after all a Request for Comment, not a law.  My
> comment since it was requested is, the document is pompous in it's
> pretensions and a lot more than is needed in this environment.  Let's
> not go overboard with this.
>
> james

That's just the point. Rules get broken, but a mailing lists run
smoother when they are adhered to. I reckon that if people are made
aware of this, and then are given the opportunity to choose on a list by
list basis how much it applies. I remember taking some really hard hits
when i went for advice on IRC, before finding newbie. They didn't follow
the RFC either, they just wouldn't listen to anything from newbies, hell
just lurking to see what conversation there was could get you kicked.

I found a really good history of RFC's one day while i was looking for
ARPANET history. Sidetracked me for about 3 hours while i was absorbed
in the whole thing. They came about from an excess of politeness
where people were highly reluctant to step on the toes of others.

--
Michael