On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 6:25 pm, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> Anne Wilson schrieb am Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:04:03 +0100:
> > On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 3:38 pm, Eric Huff wrote:
> > > But, if someone reads our entire list and gets to a link at the
> > > bottom, they can, if interested, look into it more.  We could
> > > expand the  "The 'rules' of internet usage..." line to
> > > emphasize "If you are interested...".
> >
> > I think if I were reading it for the first time, I would think
> > 'OK - that's what they want.'  Then when I got to the bottom, I
> > would probably say 'I'll have a look at that sometime' - and I'd
> > probably forget about it.  But it's there if anyone does
> > want/need it.
>
> I go along with Eric's point of view, especially with the sideline
> "if you are interested.

Agreed - we should amend that.

> What I'd like to have mentioned in the main text is that the RFCs
> are just what they are: a Request For Comments. Nothing more
> nothing less.

(As long as they don't think that comments are actually wanted or will
do any good <g>)  I know what you mean, though.

> Background:
> There are the usual list-nazis - as you put it - in nearly every
> list and newsgroup, ok. But having peeked into German lists and
> especially newsgroups it struck me that there are people who regard
> the RFCs as *laws*. If you violate them you get near legal
> prosecution, so it sometimes seems when you read the postings.
>
> Although this is a bit more laid-back in international lists (we
> Germans need our rules and walls) it may be a point to be explained
> to the noob.

I'll try to get to it this evening, to see if I can deal with this.
Please check in a few hours and comment if you think anything should
be changed again.  I shan't be offended.  Getting it right is not
always easy.

Anne

--
Registered Linux User No.293302