On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:14:11 -0400
Miark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> 3) It punishes computer users who
> are too inexperienced to know how to change their browser.

This is exactly what I intend to do. The page which is served to IE
users will explain *why* (info on MS and it's record on security
issues), and *how* (links to alternative browsers and info on how they
can contact MS to demand better protection).

You are correct about one thing, this is about choice. For me, this
means *choosing* not to deal with MS wherever possible, until they get
their act together.

Unfortunately, MS will not listen until users of their software start
complaining that not only are they subject to egregious violations of
their privacy and security, but that out of that, the 'net is becoming a
*very* unfriendly place for MS software.

Hell, my site don't get enough hits to even make a *blip* on MS's radar,
but as far as I'm concerned, enough is enough. MS needs to be told in
no-uncertain-terms that they are not welcome on the 'net in their
current state.

What is so different about this type of action than putting filters on
HTML mail, which is a standard practice for many lists and individual
users? What is so different about this than banning certain IP's that
run unsecured open-relays, often without their knowledge? What is so
different about this than ISP's giving individual users the boot when
they won't accept that the software they are running is causing
problems?

Why be dishonest and hide the fact that we are *against* MS and their
shenanigans, while at the same time offering an alternative? It is
indeed hypocrisy to accept the ill-conceived and hair-raisingly insecure
MS garbage that's out there, all the while subverting them by promoting
our alternative. No one is going to seek out that alternative unless
they are given concrete and inescapable reasons for doing so.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046