On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:47:31 -0400
Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> No, actually, I suspect that they are confirming what I said.  They
> assume that all of your pages are PHP and that you include the
> detection mechanism on all pages.  If you were running something like
> post-nuke or nuke, or another PHP type of content management system,
> you could simply add the code to a template and it would automatically
> be placed on every page that was pulled from that template.  Since all
> pages are created from the same template and generated dynamically,
> the code would be on all pages.
>
> If you had both HTML as well as PHP pages and I had the URL to one of
> the HTML pages, I could bypass the code, correct?

Correct. I only have 5 pages so, and they're all .php, so, no problemo.

> Well, I probably disagree with what you are doing having the result
> you intend.  There is no point in attempting to get anyone to abandon
> IE at this point.  MS has already announced that 6.0 will be the last
> standalone version of IE.  All future versions will only be available
> as an integrated part of the Windows OS.  So, within a few years, we
> will see people moving away from IE if they want to continue to move
> forward with technology but still keep running their old OS, be it
> windows or otherwise.  People who move to the new versions of Windows
> are likely not to have any choice since MS plans to close down the OS
> to outside development as soon as the Palladium stuff gets going.
>
> I suspect that third-party applications will only be approved if they
> do not directly compete with internal MS applications and browsers do.
>  Given that,
> it is inevitable that Opera, Mozilla and others will be the de-facto
> standards for browsers and IE will only maintain what marketshare they
> get from the OS itself.

Again, this is just a small gesture, and not just aimed at IE. It's
intended to expose Windows users to alternatives to not just IE, but to
Windows itself, which is why I point to documentation which highlights
the inherant problems with using Windows in general. Even if people
don't take this info as a reason to switch from Win to Lin, it just
might make them think of putting some pressure on MS to make a better
effort at security, or change the direction MS is taking.

I plan on expanding the offensive to include the objects you mention,
such as Palladium, and the idea of even further integrating, and
therefore exposing to vulnerabilities, Windows OS components.

MS is going in the wrong direction. I hope I can do my part, however
small, to make people see this, if there's any recommendations you or
anyone else can contribute, I'm certainly open to that.

Thanks!

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046