Miark wrote:

This may be just me, but "locking out" anybody based on their browser is
not a tactic that is compatible or consistent with the Open Source way.

In fact I think it's below us. We should be taking the high road and
setting an example cuz 1) that's the quality of people we want to be. 2)
We don't want Linux users developing a reputation of warring against M$.
We about being pro-Linux, not anti-M$. 3) It punishes computer users who
are too inexperienced to know how to change their browser. And 4) which
is perhaps the most important, our way is of freedom--including the
freedom to use the software we want. It would be the height of hypocrisy
for legions of Linux webmasters to laud freedom while compelling
visitors to use or not use software of their choice. It just ain't us.

Miark

<polite insert><rant>

Your missing the point, Miark. This is not what HMac is doing (and do jump in if I have you wrong, HMac). He is not concerned with hostile attitudes against those that use IE: he is against the Corporation that has shown very little regard for your security, and they are costing you money right now! Don't take my word for it, just fire up some sniffer of your own choosing, i.e. ethereal, and have a look at the cluster-fuck out there. I pay good money for my dsl, and, because of a plethora of bogus, virus-oriented traffic due to M$, i.e. rpc exploits (port 135), netbios exploits (port 138 and port 139), SMB exploits (port 445), IIS exploits (all http and https ports), and all the other email virus that bottlenecks the internet (I think the list could go on ad infinitum), I pay by not having but maybe, at best, 80 percent of my pipe.

What it seems like to me, is that HaywireMac is on an educational crusade, and I, for one, laud him on this endeavor. The re-direct page can be done in a really well thought out fashion. Wording can be included that will help others get the hell off of anything to do with M$. That kind of effort will certainly have Billy re-tooling his thinking. It is time for us all to make a stand.....
</polite insert></rant>

Go for it, WildMan

drjung

--