>  Ed has proposed some stack effect changes to core collection words and
>  Dan is toying with generic collection protocols but I'm still undecided
>  as to whether these ideas are worthwhile, and if adding them now will
>  postpone 1.0 too far. Perhaps both can be merged into one proposal: a
>  generic collections vocabulary implementing new stack effects. This
>  would go in extra/ and people would be free to use it but the core code
>  would not change and existing code using core sequence and collection
>  words wouldn't need updates either. Ed and Dan, what do you think?

I don't completely see what benefit it would bring to merge the two
ideas; they're fairly orthogonal. Either way, I'm completely fine with
putting generic collections in extra/, especially since they don't
exist. My hypothesis is that they'll allow code duplication between
assocs and sequences, but since they don't exist, I can't say that
with any certainty. The hope is that generic collections can be
implemented in a way that's consistent with basically the current API
for assocs and sequences, but that the manipulation words for these
will become only more general.

Dan