Eduardo Cavazos wrote:
> In the api that I'm proposing, the examples you give above still look
> like
> this:
>
>       iso-2022-jp <file-reader>
>
>       shift-jis <file-reader>
>
> How is that "harder" than the current api? It's in fact identical.

Ed, your "smart pathname" proposal has two distinct parts. The first
part is the automatic promotion of a string to a UTF8 pathname; we can
think of this as specifying that UTF8 is the 'default'. The second part
is that the pathname and encoding travel as one item on the stack.

Can you give some examples where having the pathname/encoding be one
item rather than two simplifies code? Where do we pass these pairs
around? In all the cases I've seen the encoding is a literal symbol
that's pushed right before calling the constructor.

Slava