Since subtlety of meditation and the length or depth of meditation
are measurable, presumably we can have some physical measurement.
But can physical instruments capture the full breadth of what a
person can experience? I think not. While I would be careful of
assigning existence to phenomenon of any kind, certain subjective
phenomenon have been repeatedly and predictably used for
ascertaining refinement of perception for millenia. Perhaps what we
need to realize is that "objective science" has it's limitations in
the limitations of Scientific Materialist Dogma (reductionism and
objectivism esp.). What is needed--and throughly robust side-by-side-
-is a pure subjective science. It is this pure subjective science
that the pioneers of "contemplative science" (contemplative
neuroscience and contemplative psychology) are attempting to bridge.
With that paradigm shift could come a new species of evidence
altogether.

All subtlety of meditation would prove is that we are capable of
having high-resolution and vivid perception, it really wouldn't tell
us any more objectively than that, other than it might have side
benefits like reduction of negative emotions and so on. When
combined with other attitudes outside of meditation proper, it can
extend them into inter-meditational periods however and benefit
overall living.

I don't know of any research on angels per se, but IME these are
largely considered nyams or meditational experiences, but there are
exceptions of course.

------------

The new contemplative science will function no differently the old;
both are formal representations – references, they point to
something else. The difference is between having pain and hearing
about pain. One is certain, the other arguable - the new paradigm
only guarantees your further addiction to new evidence.

I'll flag the humanities once more: A meticulously crafted aria
seeks embodiment. Its purpose, though music and story, is to allow
the listener the pleasure of discovery. The ear provides the heart
with the opportunity to experience an essential aspect of its own
being. The listener understands, however momentarily, that contained
within her own consciousness are the potentialities for her own
auricular brilliance.

The aria is not a reference, but a lived experience.