--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was merely reporting my experience.  This experience leads me to
suspect that consciousness is layered, but there is nothing in the
experience itself that tells me that I'm experiencing the deepest
layer. Consciousness, as Husserl pointed out, is always OF
something.  I agree with you completely that for there to be any hint
of awareness of anything whatsoever, there has to be a first
distinction, which was the point of quoting my favorite
mathematician.  And yet there remains the original mystery of why and
how consciousness conceives a desire to know itself.  The usual
answer is love, but while that's nice, it's circular.

Angela, MMY may have answered your question here.  You are probably
aware of his conjecture relating to the Rishi-Devata-Chandas
dynamics.  Rishi pertains to the knower, devata the process of
knowing, and Chandas the known.  IMO, MMY is describing the process
of Intelligence. It knows and desires Itself.  The byproduct of this
process is consciousness which translates into the creation of matter.

During the process of transformation, the initial stages of the five
senses, i.e. sight, hearing, tasting, feeling, smelling are
manifested.  In the end, all of matter can be traced and is the
byproduct of the cosmological five senses.  To be specific, all of
these attributes are found in the faculties of human beings.

In effect, this is the why and how consciousness conceives a desire
to know itself.

Essay

> --- Angela Mailander <mailander111@ yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I am always conscious of that "third thing."  I
>
> > observe my mind at work.  I am aware, for example,
>
> > that this mind is not as good as it was twenty years
>
> > ago.  This mind does not like that fact, but that
>
> > which observes the deterioration of my mind is
>
> > supremely indifferent and unaffected by that
>
> > deterioration.  So there is a reason for
>
> > distinguishing between consciousness (the observer)
>
> > and awareness (the mind's workings).  That is
>
> > neither here nor there, however, as it does not tell
>
> > me whether either one or both will survive the death
>
> > of my body.
>

> One of my favorite dead horses I like to beat:
>

> Consciousness (pure) is not an observer. Giving it
>
> this function implies a relationship to something (the
>
> observed). All perception is of the mind.
>
> Consciousness has nothing to do with mind.
>
> Consciousness is not "located" anywhere. You can't
>
> talk about consciousness other than in negating
>
> relative constraints placed upon it by mind (i.e., not
>
> this, not that). Does this make any sense? If
>
> consciousness is awake to its own consciousness while
>
> the mind is functioning this will be clear. But if
>
> consciousness is identified with mind then its a no go!

> Be a better friend, newshound, and
>
> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.  http://mobile.
yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

> <!--
>
> #ygrp-mkp{
0px;padding:0px 14px;}
> #ygrp-mkp hr{
> border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
> #ygrp-mkp #hd{
> color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-
height:122%;margin:10px 0px;}
> #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> margin-bottom:10px;}
> #ygrp-mkp .ad{