This is an insight into MMY's mind.  Let's look at his assertion at
face value.  How did the guys in his tradition live?  The only people
we know are in his tradition are remembered in the puja, so skipping
past the obviously mythological characters, we find some people whose
lifestyles we can use to determine what he was talking about.

Shukadeva was a nudist who lived outside.  In fact we see that Guru
Dev, who was also a famous camper (but clothed), may have encountered
indoor plumbing for the first time at Jotir Math. (that is if it has
indoor pluming?)  So if we are going to take the lifestyles of the
"tradition" seriously then Purusha is missing a huge component of that
lifestyle: they lived lives with built in physical activity.  Just
taking a bath for these guys might involve walking down to a river or
stream.  They were outdoorsmen who could see their breath on cold days
(North India gets cooooold) when they went for a morning...how to put
this delicately so as not to offend...Oh I know, moving from the
fullness of fullness to the fullness of emptiness!

How they DIDN'T live was sitting on foam or in front of computers as
Nabby pointed out.  They didn't live in the artificially heated and
cooled environments of modern man.  They didn't have "parkas".

So like a lot of stuff that comes out of MMY's mouth, this statement
doesn't make any sense.  It just reveals his contempt for modern
science and medicine.  So let's all use our saliva to wash out our
eyes in the morning as was recommended in the early days of Ayur Veda,
and NEVER work up a sweat!  Then Purusha can all look like all the
elderly people we see around us who didn't live an active lifestyle.
Fortunately they can fall back on their Purusha health care insurance,
right?  Right?