> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > So like a lot of stuff that comes out of MMY's mouth, this statement
> > doesn't make any sense.  It just reveals his contempt for modern
> > science and medicine.
>
> Well, I sure am not clear as to exactly what MMY
> was including in the phrase "our tradition," or
> what kind of exercise he was referring to. It
> might also be important to know what *else* he
> said in this connection, to have more context for
> the quoted statement.
>
> So it seems to me we don't really have enough
> information to draw the conclusion you've just
> come to.

That could be the case.

> You began by saying, "Let's look at his assertion
> at face value." In general, I think the critics of
> MMY here rely far too much on "face value." They
> seem to lack the imagination to realize how
> important context can be. Sometimes it can confirm
> the "face value," but other times it shows it in
> an entirely different light.

While I used the term "face value", remember that I lived in programs
where every hour was programmed by MMY.  Vigorous exercise has always
been frowned on.  Statements like "Asanas provide enough exercise were
used to guide our activity.  MMY is anti weight training and aerobic
training, this is a known fact of his fulltime programs.

But now all the chickens are coming to roost.  If MMY is right his
groups of people living under his direction should be the picture of
good health.  We are entering the area beyond opinions as we see how
people age.  You can't tell anything by one person, but we will get a
better idea with many aging Purusha and Mother Divine.

As far as MMy goes,I think his mission is a big key to his longevity.
 having a purpose seems to be a really important for a long life  On
the other hand my dad is his age and is much more physically vigorous.
 But there are so many factors in health we can only pick out what
makes sense and run with it.  For me it includes weight training and
aerobics as well as stretching and balance training.  I am hoping that
pursuing my music will give my life a focus till the guitar drops from
my hands.  I have read that many musicians live a long time and I
think the activity and expression may help.  I'll bet our views on how
you and I conduct our own healthy lives are more similar than
different.