Edg, when I was in my tapas stage and living outside of Philadelphia
I'd turn the cold water tap of the tub every morning and as I brushed
my teeth I'd glance over my shoulder and anticipate with little
pleasure the coming immersion in achingly cold water.  That was my
routine for years but after I got out of the habit I became pretty
adverse to the cold water routine.

So when I started surfing last year, my first concern (even before
the sharks and the drowing heebie-jeebies) was just how much
protection from the cold the wetsuit would offer.  I wear a 4/3 (4
mil. in the chest and back and 3 mil. everywhere else) with booties,
gloves and a hood and it's like a seal-siddhi, I'm so warm.  I was
surfing Saturday up in Crescent City and the water right now is
between 45-50 degrees and it didn't take more than 10 minutes before
I had to take the hood off to dissipate the heat.  The water actually
feels good.  Summer it warms up to 55 degrees or so and I can chuck
the booties and gloves, too.

Come on back, Edg; no place finer on the planet and it would be very
fine to have some FairfieldLife right here in this exquisite neck of
the woods.  And if you  miss the snow, all you have to do is drive 45
minutes into the mountains and you can have all the snow you want.

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Marek,
>
> Not sure which beach you're referring to....it takes nine minutes to
> drive up to Arcata.  But yeah, I was thinking of Moonstone Beach.
>
> I left because my family couldn't take the small-town stuff --
they'd
> just escaped Fairfield and wanted a big city, so we ended up in
> Pacific Grove -- thankfully only five blocks from the beach.
>
> But me, I might move back to Arcata at any moment -- there's another
> seven inches of snow coming tonight to lay on top of the 20 inches
> from a couple days ago.
>
> You surfed in those 55 degree waters?  Man, I bow to you -- I don't
> care how good your wet suit was.  The beaches north of Arcata beat
> anything I ever saw between LA and SF.
>
> It is impossible not to feel like a hippy when looking up the trunk
of
> a Redwood.
>
> Edg
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Edg, my first visit to California (I'm a midwest boy) was for
the '71
> > one-month Humboldt course.  So much about that trip blew me away
and
> > I was totally happy to end up here so many years later.  It truly
is
> > paradise for me.
> >
> > The beaches thing, I'm not sure what you mean.  From where I am
here
> > in Eureka (my office is about a block from the marina) I can
drive
> > across the Samoa bridge and be at one of the beaches along the
> > peninsula in less than 10 minutes.  They aren't as spectacular as
> > Moonstone beach, which you apparently were referring to; a
> > stereotypical wild California beach with sea stacks, redwoods and
the
> > Little River winding through the sand as it pours into the
Pacific,
> > but they are great walking beaches and there are several
surfbreaks,
> > too, though none as beautiful as Moonstone.  I've surfed there
quite
> > a bit and the whole scene there blows me away with its suchness.
> >
> > My daughter lives in San Francisco and I enjoy the drive.
Humboldt
> > is so perfectly isolated from everywhere else, but as you point
out,
> > completely self sufficient.  Why'd you leave?
> >
> > **
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, I made a mistake -- was addressing you, Marek.
> > >
> > > So, we have "behind the Redwood curtain" in common.
> > >
> > > Tired of that four hour drive to San Francisco yet?
> > >
> > > Bet we know a few townsfolk in common. Was last there in 1999.
> > > choose Arcata to be my "hole up" place in case of Y2K becoming
> > true.
> > > There's always liquid water there, long growing seasons, and
it's
> > far
> > > from the maddening crowds (hoards from the big cities that were
sure
> > > to spread out looking for food and loot.  Sigh....)
> > >
> > > The only thing that really bugged me about Eureka/Arcata was
that
> > they
> > > didn't have a decent beach -- had to drive north for 20
minutes, but
> > > then, wow!....giant rocks in the surf!
> > >
> > > Edg
> > >

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis"