Edg, my first visit to California (I'm a midwest boy) was for the '71
one-month Humboldt course.  So much about that trip blew me away and
I was totally happy to end up here so many years later.  It truly is
paradise for me.

The beaches thing, I'm not sure what you mean.  From where I am here
in Eureka (my office is about a block from the marina) I can drive
across the Samoa bridge and be at one of the beaches along the
peninsula in less than 10 minutes.  They aren't as spectacular as
Moonstone beach, which you apparently were referring to; a
stereotypical wild California beach with sea stacks, redwoods and the
Little River winding through the sand as it pours into the Pacific,
but they are great walking beaches and there are several surfbreaks,
too, though none as beautiful as Moonstone.  I've surfed there quite
a bit and the whole scene there blows me away with its suchness.

My daughter lives in San Francisco and I enjoy the drive.  Humboldt
is so perfectly isolated from everywhere else, but as you point out,
completely self sufficient.  Why'd you leave?

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavismarek@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Edg, I assume you meant 'me' and not Curtis, yes?
> >
> > If so, I live and work in Eureka.  Arcata is 6 miles to the north
and
> > I prefer the Saturday farmers' market on the square there to the
ones
> > here in Eureka.  It's a great market and up here hippie culture
is
> > still alive and well and I appreciate it quite a lot.
> >
> > The whole medical cannabis issue is convoluted; some law
enforcement
> > is cool and some is not; the problem ultimately is that there is
so
> > much money to be made in the blackmarket and the greymarket that
cops
> > know that many medical users have 215 recommendations only
because
> > it's an easy way of making a living.
> >
> > There are many regular folk here, or so I have heard, who operate
> > small home franchises of cultivation, whether or not they smoke
> > themselves.  A distributor will provide equipment, clones and
know-
> > how for a small but sophisticated grow operation in return for
half
> > the profit the first year (maybe 2-3 grow cylcles) and after that
> > distribution channel for the grower who keeps all the subsequent
> > profit for themselves.  You can hardly throw a stone anywhere in
> > Eureka or Arcata without hitting a hydroponics/organic supply
store
> > with all the latest equipment for cultivation.
> >
> > It'll be a while before this all gets hashed out but in my
estimation
> > the drug laws mostly stink and the premise that people should be
> > criminalized for feeling a certain way is ridiculous.  Harm
reduction
> > should be the focus for dealing with substances that affect
behavior
> > in a negative way, but cannabis in my opinion does more good than
> > harm, whether taken medicinally, socially, or with spiritual
intent.

> > Marek
> >
> > **
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Curtis,
> > >
> > > What town do you live in?
> > >
> > > I spent a year in Arcata, and there was always the smell wafting
> > > around the Saturday town-square Farmer's Market....even some
open
> > > smoking with no attempt to hide.
> > >
> > > I knew a fellow there that grew plants for others -- as allowed
by
> > 215
> > > -- and he invited the local cops to his house and showed them
his
> > > growing operations -- they weren't "the feds," so nothing
happened
> > > him....cops were glad he was being up front.

possesssion,
> > and

> > and
> > the