Curtis,

I think you and Turq are the only persons posting here who have kidded
about ganja -- are you about to come out of the closet on usage?

I remember smoking pot one month after learning TM --  I said at the
time: "It is flooding me with thought; no wonder Maharishi made me go
two weeks off-dope before I could get my mantra."  I stopped using and
went on to have my stellar career in sober TM mongering.

I did eventually have spiritual experiences that were as entertaining
as dope, but these days, I'm thinking that almost any chemical use is
okay if done with a mindful intent -- even if the intent is only to
"enjoy a buzz."  I think Carlos Castanada set the correct tone with
his small amounts of dope combined with deep attending-ness -- if he
ever told the truth, that is.

Buzzing combined with attentiveness (self inquiry of sorts) figures to
be evolutionary to me despite the interfering effects that chemicals
are said to have on the mind/body coordination.

Same deal for booze.  At about the 3/4th point into a can of beer, on
an empty stomach, I can get some fairly nice expansiveness.

When I see someone really into "oblivion," even then, I can spin a
tale that it's a kind of Advaitic exploration of identification.  On
my good days, I can see a homeless person with a bottle in a bag as a
holyman.

Dreadlocks, and candles and bongs, oh my.

Edg