--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> Take these three things together (and perhaps a few others) and
> M's constant crazy project binges make sense, IMO, and puts it
> all in context. Seen in this light, his binges were a most
> wonderful and creative dance over 40 years. And a wonderful path
> for some who could keep up and withstand the craziness -- and
> enjoy inner fruit of the whole crazy exercise.

Very nicely put. This is also what I heard once from
the old-time TM teacher who used to run the Asbury
Park TM facility; can't remember his name now. He was
just reminiscing about his time with MMY some years
previously, and he was very informal and funny, but
you could sense the energy and opening he'd gotten
from the experience.

My stay at that hotel facility for the summer of 1995--
as a paying guest, not working for the TMO--was the
closest I've ever come to getting sucked into the
movement. From interacting and chatting with the
teachers and lifers there, I got a really different
perspective on so many of the things that had seemed
totally nuts about the movement.

I think I've said before here of my Asbury Park
experience that the problem was that these perspectives
only made sense from *within the TM worldview*. And
you couldn't keep one foot in the "real world" and one
foot in the TM world, because the cognitive dissonance
was too great. You had to commit totally to the TM
world--at which point the "real world" appeared to be
just as nuts as the TM world did from the outside--and
I couldn't bring myself to take that leap. I stepped
back and forth from one to the other all summer and
finally stepped out again for good.

I'm glad I didn't decide to commit, but gee whiz, it
was a fascinating, stretching experience.