> Why do you find comfort in diagnosing him with
> all sorts of DSM-IV disorders?
>
> The DSM diagnoses, remember, are for the guidance
> of therapists who are working with patients who
> can't cope, based on the characteristics found in
> thousands of past patients who couldn't cope.

My relationship with the information in the DSM-IV comes mostly from a
personality test book written by two of the authors of the DSM series.
 They explain how all of our personalities fall in a range of degrees
of 14 different personality traits.  This is just a model for
understanding, but you can test yourself to see how much of certain
qualities you have.  You can have a lot of a trait they call
"vigilance" way before you become a paranoid which is the pathological
end of that spectrum.  They have a 100 question test to rate yourself
and I have found it really helpful in relationships.  It helps me
understand how my partner is viewing the world and how I can
communicate better.  Understanding breeds compassion for me.

High achievers like Maharishi usually are cranked up kind of high in
certain traits.  It doesn't have to take on a pejorative connotation,
but the guy was functioning differently than most average performers.
 In the movement this is attributed to his enlightenment.  For me it
is seen through the mental filters I am comfortable with. Spending
time in schools for my shows has brought me into contact with special
education teachers.  Their models of cognitive styles is also
influencing how I view people.  And being around Maharishi and ADD
kids is remarkably similar for me.  They are often brilliant.