--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Nevertheless, even if a person never meets with a professional or
> if professionals disagree as to a diagnosis,  it doesn't mean
> that there isn't something amiss.

Not at all.

   I wouldn't be surprised  if  most people with
> narcissistic PD don't go for treatment, but that their families end
> up looking for help in dealing with the person.
>
> My gut feeling is that if you describe MMY's behavior in detail
> to a number of psychologist and psychiatrists, they will guess
> that he had a personality disorder.

I wouldn't doubt it in the slightest. But I suspect
that would be the case with quite a few spiritual
leaders, especially those from the East.

Which makes me wonder whether Indian psychologists
and psychiatrists would have the same response.

And then I wonder how MMY would have behaved had
he been born in the West as a European or an
American.

In other words, how much of his behavior has to do
with what is sanctioned, even expected, in Indian
spiritual culture?

I also wonder whether the Western professionals
would come to the same conclusion if they were to
have spent enough time around him to experience
his presence.

Do those who have the psychic juice to take on
huge leadership roles and inspire large numbers of
people to follow them maybe not quite fit the
standard categories in terms of personality
characteristics? How can one tell if a messianic
personality is disordered, rather than exceptional?

I dunno. I was never around MMY; I'm just
speculating.