--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sandiego108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
> <ruthsimplicity@> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
> > > <ruthsimplicity@> wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > I wouldn't doubt it in the slightest. But I suspect
> > > that would be the case with quite a few spiritual
> > > leaders, especially those from the East.
> >
> > I would have said, "especially those from the west." ;)
> >
> > The key to me is the seeming lack of empathy.  You can have some
> > charismatic leaders with grand ideas, but who are not preoccupied
> with
> > ideas of unlimited success coupled with lack of empathy.
> >
> > Again, I agree we are only speculating.
> >
> so you only want feel good spirituality? something soothing that
> keeps you in your comfort zone-- wholly understandable and friendly?
> compassionate and empathetic. if you are nodding your head Yes, you
> absolutely have no interest in enlightenment. someone put it so
> perfectly recently when they quoted someone as saying the path to
> enlightenment is the path of constant insults.

No, I have no expectation of something soothing that keeps me in my
comfort zone.  But a path of constant insults?  I can't help but
wonder if those who believe that is the path end up with crazy
enlightenment. Post traumatic enlightenment disorder.

I still hold open, however, the possibility that some end up
enlightened through a tortuous path.