> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tertonzeno" <tertonzeno@> wrote:
> >
> > --Precisely, Edg!  IMO some misconceptions regarding "Samadhi" have
> > crept into our history of what the "experience" is all about, due to
> > some statements of Ramakrishna (1836-1886) regarding "going into
> > Samadhi" - in which he was temporarily oblivious to the outer world,
> > but had an inner awareness of Pure Consciousness coupled with
> > (perhaps) some memories of inner visions.
> >  To a degree, MMY has made some headway in setting the record
> > straight; along with Buddhism as a whole.
> >

> There's a difference between loss of consciousness (blacking out)
and cessation  of mental
> and sensory activity while still maintaining alertness.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "tertonzeno" <tertonzeno@> wrote:
> >
> > --Precisely, Edg!  IMO some misconceptions regarding "Samadhi" have
> > crept into our history of what the "experience" is all about, due to
> > some statements of Ramakrishna (1836-1886) regarding "going into
> > Samadhi" - in which he was temporarily oblivious to the outer world,
> > but had an inner awareness of Pure Consciousness coupled with
> > (perhaps) some memories of inner visions.
> >  To a degree, MMY has made some headway in setting the record
> > straight; along with Buddhism as a whole.
> >

> There's a difference between loss of consciousness (blacking out)
and cessation  of mental
> and sensory activity while still maintaining alertness.

About ten years ago, I was playing basketball. Instead of having a
single pole that held up the hoop in the park where we played, the
hoop was held by two poles descending down like an inverted V. I was
driving up for a lay up and caught my head dead on into one of the
descending poles and went completely unconscious for what seemed like
at least five seconds. What I remember clearly was the experience of
not being unconscious, having a gap of awareness normally associated
with being knocked out, but instead being perfectly aware of That,
nothing but pure awareness and then coming back into waking state.

The thing I realized from that experience was, that the integration of
Being is so natural over years of meditating. A person will not know
how much Being has been integrated into their waking experience until
they are confronted with a contrast or what we believe is the normal
experience of unconsciousness. I suppose death would be the ultimate
judge if this were true or not.