--Precisely, Edg!  IMO some misconceptions regarding "Samadhi" have
crept into our history of what the "experience" is all about, due to
some statements of Ramakrishna (1836-1886) regarding "going into
Samadhi" - in which he was temporarily oblivious to the outer world,
but had an inner awareness of Pure Consciousness coupled with
(perhaps) some memories of inner visions.
 To a degree, MMY has made some headway in setting the record
straight; along with Buddhism as a whole.