--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Luise" <janluise@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > > Can I ask a question? I don't know you from Adam,
> > > but you've been coming across a tad...uh...cultlike
> > > about this Tom fellow. And the website you pointed
> > > us to has a vibe that's more than a little icky IMO.
> > > How much money have you...uh..."contributed" to
> > > this Core Spirituality Institute?
>
> I remember Tom, when I was at MIU in the late '70's, early 80's...
> He always seemed to be an honest intense, 'in your face' kind of
> guy...
> I think sometimes people who have intense personalities or who
> exclaim passionate rhetoric, can often be viewed as cultish...
> Why people have this reaction, I don't know.
> I heard a lady on C-Span this morning, from Kentucky, who was
> saying something about Barack Obama scares her, and reminds her
> of someone like the cult-leader Jim Jones, who had is followers
> commit mass suicide back in some past bad dream...
> This is the mentality of some people, which I find strange, to
> say the least..

It's a viable concern, one that I mistakenly had
myself until Janet's post cleared it up. It seems
that what I mistook for "follower enthusiasm" is
far simpler -- the enthusiasm of someone for her
long-time partner's work.

And it's *diligent* work, well-written and well-
footnoted. The bibliography is a bit pretentious,
but he's probably read all those things. My issue
with the book is that I'm just not interested in
the subject matter. Jesus leaves me as cold as
the fishes he multiplied to feed to the faithful. :-)

I just got involved because of a favorite nitpick
of mine, the tendency for people to project *onto*
ancient religions and belief systems their more
modern and completely unrelated beliefs. I've
spent so much time wading through that with regard
to the Cathars (a group related to the Gnostics in
that they both sprang from the same Dualist found-
ations) that I'm a tad over-sensitive.

Given *my* sensibilities and the things I've studied
in my life, it took me a long time to "get" the
appeal that Dualism *had* for the ancient mind.
Them was tough times, man. The average lifespan was
about 40; death and disease and injustice and in-
equality were everywhere you looked. The Catholic
Church was as corrupt and degraded as a spiritual
institution can possibly be. And the Catholic "take"
on God was that he was the *architect* of all this
evil and injustice and inequality that people saw
all around them, but that he was a Good Guy anyway.

Buzzzzzz. Just doesn't compute. But the Dualist idea
that the world they saw about them *wasn't* created
by God but by the Other Guy? That computed. It didn't
require the people to believe that the same God that
they believed was all-Good could turn around and
waste your entire village with the plague. So the
Dualist ideas took hold and became, in the south of
France and in other areas, more popular than the
mainstream Catholic Church's ideas.

This was somewhat of a challenge to the Catholic
Church, and they reacted predictably and created
two Crusades and the Inquisition and eliminated the
"unsound ideas" by killing the people who thought
them. So it goes.

I don't actually *believe* the ideas of the Cathars
or the other Dualists I've studied; I find them
completely opposed to my own. But I enjoy studying
them. At the same time, I try not to impose my ideas
onto theirs. They believed different things; they did
NOT have any idea of being able to attain a permanent
Union with God in this life. Anyone who started talk-
ing about Unity experiences would have been driven
out of the group instantly. So when I encounter New
Agey tracts that portray *proud* dualists as non-dual,
it gets my dander up. Gnosis was a temporary insight,
one that could not in their view be made permanent
as long as the perceiver was "burdened" by a material
body. To suggest otherwise about what *we* believe is
OK; but to suggest otherwise about what these people
believed seems to me to be projecting one's Eastern
philosophy onto a Western tradition and trying to
make it "fit." Square peg, round hole.

As for the website that made Tom's book available, I
don't get a good feeling for the organization, but
hey!...I took advantage of a website that isn't mine
and not all of whose ideas I agree with to make one
of my books available for free, too, so who am I to
complain?

Bottom line for me is that I've got a limited time
left on this rock, and hopefully a lot of books to
read before I'm outa here. I just can't spend my
time reading the ones that don't interest me. And
any book whose focus is to suggest that Christ was
more than human just isn't going to interest me. That
*weakens* his story IMO. The whole "avatar" thang
just so completely misses the point in my opinion
that I just glance its way and then move on to
something that gets the idea that there is nothing
*at all* special about the enlightened. They just
achieved normality, that's all, while most of us
haven't yet.