> Well, the Artist *uses* Science, but usually not the other way around.
>
> Lawson

I believe that for a person who grew up in a developed county in the
last 80 years the assimilation of some of the principles of science
are a given.  Even spirituality often uses uses proof systems that
appear to be empirical to some degree. It is only after proffered
evidence is show to be lacking does the rejection of all science
usually take place IME.

Even the New Testament tries to build a case for Jesus' divinity based
on the performance of physical miracles witnessed and reported by
numbers of people. It surprised me on a re-read in the last few years
how much time is spent trying to make this case.  There is much more
time spent on the miracles than any of his presentation of ethical
philosophy which he gets so much undeserved credit for IMO.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <wgm4u@> wrote:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a great topic for many reasons for me.  At the core it
> > > discusses how we engage family members or friends in philosophical
> > > debate and then it expressed, very well, some ideas I find
inspiring.

> > > I can't speak for other "evolutionists" but I do accept that the
> > > evolutionary theory is the best understanding we have of our
origins.
> > >  I don't believe that human happiness has to have a reason.  It
> > > doesn't seem to really be a product of the gene's need to reproduce
> > > since so often the desire to have kids beyond someone's means brings
> > > unhappiness and struggle.  Many miserable bastards seem to do quite
> > > well in surviving and perpetuating their genes.
> > >
> > > For me the choice of joy at natural or man made beauty is a perk of
> > > our wonderfully aware brains and imaginations.  I'm not sure that it
> > > has to have a reason or that one can really be given.  It may be an
> > > offshoot of our style of functioning without purpose or evolutionary
> > > value.  It is not a universal or we would see people outside at
sunset
> > > time instead of glued to sitcoms.  OTOH we also were given an
> > > awareness of our mortality and inevitable death with our
awareness and
> > > this may also just be an artifact of consciousness that isn't so
> > charming.
> > >
> > > <He's an existentialist, or so he says...*
> > >
> > > "Existentialism is a philosophical movement that posits that
> > > individuals create the meaning and essence of their lives, as
opposed
> > > to deities or authorities creating it for them." Wikipedia>
> > >
> > > I find this so inspiring.  It lifts my spirits the way scriptures
> > used to.

> > > Of course family history plays in here as an unknown.  But if I were
> > > to hazard a guess it might be that your assertion of "knowing the
> > > answer" to one of life's mystery with surety closed the door on
> > > further sharing of perspectives.  He was approaching the
question with
> > > a bit of epistemological humility and you were approaching it as a
> > > "knower."  You may not have meant it that way or maybe you did.
 But I
> > > also find that people who claim to have such answers with a sense of
> > > surety turn me off in a discussion.  Perhaps there were too many
> > > buttons of past lectures to get beyond the family dynamics but
it also
> > > might be possible to come from a place of your own appropriate
> > > humility concerning life's grandest questions.  I'll bet you
have your
> > > own version of not knowing it all in these matters and you might
find
> > > it allows for a discussion among equals.  Humans pondering their
place
> > > in the world together instead of one who questions and one who
knows.

> > > Your answer had some poetic beauty on its own merit.  It was not an
> > > answer but was a sharing of how you think about it.  It included
many
> > > implied pre-suppositions that your brother doesn't share (nor I), so
> > > it couldn't really be accepted as an answer by him.
> > >
> > > I have been on both sides of this kind of exchange so often.  I have
> > > to admit that it is a lot more comfortable and produces more
> > > conversations now that I don't know so much.
> >
> > Well it is SCIish, unintentionally, but primarily the answer is in the
> > domain of Philosophy and Religion. Someone once asked MMY which comes
> > closer to the truth, the Scientist or the Artist and he said the
Artist.