This.....is........too.......damn.....long........I won't be crushed
if nobody reads it. I appreciate the opportunity to satiate my
unhealthy narcissistic appetite for my own lofty rhetoric steeped in
erudition and sophistry......I'm kind of a sick bastard that way.
     Jesus' effect on the west reminds me of the Buddha's effect on
the east. People still killed each other, stole, raped, hated. But in
Europe there were people walking around saying "Love thy neighbor,
blessed are the peacemakers, worldy pleasure alone doesn't make you
happy." And in Asia there were people walking around saying "don't
harm your brother for he is like you--he wants to be happy, and, you
kill a little part of yourself when you're dishonest, and again--
wordly pleasure alone will not make you happy."
     The barbarism that has gone on over the millennia that people
attribute to religion would've happened anyway. The Chinese and
Japanese have hated each other, Irish protestants and Irish Catholics
have hated each other, and, with no reason they can tell you, people
from northern Wales don't like people from southern Wales. We're
descended from predators and it's readily observable that our brains'
R-complex is still calling alot of shots when we learn to harness the
power that fuels ths stars and two nations of the same race
immediately learn how to use that power to destroy the planet in
order to stop the others' ideologies from winning......

   Chimps?......oh this might go all the back to precambrian
protozoan fear of other one-celled monsters.

   So I'd gladly join in the raucous caustic lampooning of any number
of paranoid religious paradigms. Any system where a secretive,
dishonest autocracy presides over an undifferentiated ego mass taking
their money, freewill and right to reason needs to have us other
chimps throwing our feces at it.

                      But

      --the people who operated outside the institutionally
sanctioned priesthoods of their day--like Jesus, Buddha, Lao Tzu, and
to an extent Guru Dev, etc, who at least tried to interject some
higher ideas into the torpid suffering masses regardless of who they
really were in relation to who they thought or we think they
were.....these people don't warrant the full venomous potency of our
cynicism.... I'm not referring to anyone's post, just offering a
related opinion.

    There's another aspect of the crucifixion that the
writers/translators/abusers of the four books written by Matt, Mark
Luke and Smedley don't approach. Someone stood out and told the
religious and political authorities of the day that they were VERY
WRONG about the 'truths' that gave them power......and they nailed
him to a board......A good lesson whether it's history or a fable. I
see in the red print of the new testament a line of reasoning too
deep to have been thought of by, or be of any use to the Popes,
Joseph Smiths, and Pat Robertson's that have blackened the name of a
guy who if he ever did come back, wouldn't recognize a modern church
building or his own statue inside it.........as Robin Williams said.

   "Jesus isn't coming back. Every time he looks down he sees a bunch
of people wearing crosses and thinks.....Yikes! They must still wanna
kill me! I better wait."

   Anyhoo.......I just have to wonder about the deeper hidden drives
that make a person NEED to discount any possible goodness that our
civilizations' 'spiritual' people may have brought --- In