--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sandiego108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > > His father had promised him a car for his birthday.  Dad was
> nowhere
> > in sight.   His mother gave him 5.00$, yet what he had received
> was a
> > grace from God that on his birthday the sun and the birds awakened
> > him, the sweet smells of the divine filled the air and he knew
> without
> > a doubt that there had to be a God and that God just gave him the
> > greatest birthday gift ever.................
> >

> > So following this weather based theology we can assume that God
> > absolutely hates China and dropped a huge earthquake on it's ass
> and
> > despises Burma and sent them a nasty cyclone?
> >
> > It seems a little grandiose and narcissistic to me to attribute a
> > day's weather to God's intention to give him a bitch'n birthday
> while
> > his same power over the weather is causing untold misery and
death
> in
> > other places.
> <snip>
>
> I think we as humans like to look for patterns and extrapolate our
> intelligence onto nature. Whether we do it through a belief in God
> or in science, the motive is the same, and either belief remains
> full of holes when viewed superficially.

I don't think the motive is the same, opposite in fact.
I sum it up as; Religion claims to explain reality whereas
science is an *attempt* to explain experience. You have to
remove projection to do science it wouldn't work otherwise,
you have to keep challenging things or you never progress.

If a creationist ends up in the White house you could have
"intelligent design" taught to kids and instantly their
education stops because of the limit a religious belief
has insisted be put on discovery. Not in the spirit of
science at all as spotting where the holes are in a theory
is how it all moves on.