<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Both are "stress" in TM terms: they are experiences that overwhelm
> > Self. The Big-S Self is the exact opposite of Selye's "stereotypical
> physiological
> > response." Selye told MMY about 40 years ago that meditation was
> > the exact opposite, but I think that that was because he hadn't seen
> > the transcendental consciousness research at that time.
>
> I don't understand it that way.  Eustress could just be the sun part
> of the cloth analogy.  Eustress as I understand it is challenge that
> pushes you to greater ability and is considered positive in Selye's
> model right?  The value of activities for infusing being was a big
> part of the story that supported fulltimers.  Developing "flexibility"
> etc. was purported to be created by certain activities and often
> included a dose of sleep deprivation.

Yes, yes, yes.  Stress can be good.  You are hungry, you eat.  You
want to ride a bike, you may fall a few times.  People strive and are
competitive and handling the distress involved in learning is a big
advantage.

I understand this well enough.  But to expand that concept to the
concept of unstressing resulting from meditation is unwarranted in my
mind.  Did anyone other than MMY promote the unstressing concept?