I think the point is that we each have to decide for ourselves how we
relate this "promise."  Such agreements are always context dependent,
they don't exist in some magical space of promise land, they are an
aspect of the relationship itself.  I am against people being censored
for talking about the so called "secrets" on an open forum.  People
who don't want to discuss such things don't have to.

Turq brought up many good points about the nature of this agreement.
With the unequal power balance, and the legal bluff aspect, I don't
view this agreement as the same thing a promise to a friend or family
member.   In the case of equals, promises for confidentiality bind you
together and enhance trust and intimacy between you.  This was never
the case with the movement's agreements which were veiled threats for
revealing corporate secrets.  That said, if the movement had gone
about it in a legal above board manor (giving us a copy for one) they
would have the legal protection of the law.  Instead they did it with
their typical disregard for the law, invented their own rules for a
contractual relationship, and tried to frighten legally naive
followers.  Not by using it as a tool for intimacy, but under veiled
threats, showing that you were not trusted.

Going on courses we also signed away the right to sue if we were
injured.  Again, not given a copy of the "secret" document which
invalidated it for  legal purposes.  But its purpose was an act of
bluff and bullying as Turq pointed out.  It was a creepy trick.  If
they had done it in a legal way they would have had to give up the
document for others to see and the secrecy obsession always rules in
the movement.  They would rather have an invalid agreement than let
the world actually shine a light on what their documents.  Very
Catholic church IMO.

The same secrecy dominated martial arts for centuries.  Only very
recently can anyone could learn the secrets of the systems of fighting
around the world without pledging total allegiance to the "master."
And you know what such openness brought?  The most amazing renaissance
of the fighting arts in history.  Bullshit techniques are exposed for
what they are, and what is emerging is mixed martial arts were only
the best techniques prevail.  Such openness might help us figure out
which meditation practices have the most to offer beyond the followers
strong biases in a cloud of secrets.