On Jul 15, 2008, at 7:04 PM, boo_lives wrote:

There's no tradition whatsoever of primary winners helping losers
retire their debt.  There have been cases in which candidates on track
to win the nomination have helped out a laggard in exchange for the
laggard dropping out early and thus saving everyone money.  Hillary
did just the opposite - forcing both of them to pony up millions more
so she could stick it out till the end despite no chance of winning.

Thanks, boo, not to mention that HIllary's debt is so huge now,
that if Obama were to help her retire it in any significant way, he'd
basically have no time to campaign.  I'm not positive, but I think her
debts are pretty much unprecedented.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the motive behind her
sticking it out for so long to begin with, putting him in a lose/lose
position.  Don't help her out, look like an ungallant winner.  *Do*
help her, and have no time to run his own.

Sal