<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> The biggest problem we have with her is not people making
> sexist comments.  That distraction is appropriate to any
> woman here who is being treated that way in her own personal
> life.

I want to comment first on this subsidiary point,
because in its more general form, this theme has
come up for you a number of times here.

The paradigmatic response to this approach is the
famous poem that begins "First they came for the
Jews..." Obviously sexist attacks on Palin are
vanishingly trivial compared to the Holocaust,
but the larger point may not be.

Another version of the point is Cain's
question from the Bible, "Am I my brother's
keeper?"

Is it ethically OK to refrain from defending
someone who is being unfairly attacked when
one doesn't have a personal investment in the
quality or characteristic on which the attack
focuses? Is one absolved of responsibility in
such a case?

Do we consider all the white people who
participated in civil rights activities in the
South in the '60s and '70s to have been
*inappropriately* distracted by the racism they
were opposing, because they themselves had never
experienced it?

<snip>
> So my advise to the press and the Democratic party is to ignore
> all the word shields being used to keep you from sandblasting
> Sara Palin from head to toe.  I want you so far up her ass I
> only see the heels of your shoes.  I will forgive you if you
> need to apologize afterwards for being a little rough on her.
> We don't have the time to play nice and she can take it if she
> is the real deal.  But I will never forgive you if let he slip
> by with little scrutiny and she turns out to be another George
> Bush disaster.

Another way of looking at this is to ask whether
obsessing over Sarah Palin may have the
unintended consequence of allowing John McCain to
slip by with little scrutiny--not only because
there's a great deal to be scrutinized about him,
but also because a significant portion of the
electorate may *not* be willing to graciously
forgive us for being "rough" on her, and their
outrage may inspire them to vote for the McCain-
Palin ticket in protest (which was Michael Moore's
point).

And of course these two points are related. If
we spend all our energy deconstructing Sarah while
neglecting to do the same for McCain, those who are
moved to protest our treatment of her by voting for
the Republican ticket won't have been given any
reason *not* to.

Finally, objections from the left to the sexist
attacks on Palin are not "word shields" designed
to protect her from scrutiny. They're objections
to sexism, period; the notion that we simply
cannot do a proper job on her without some sexism
creeping in is just a rationalization for indulging
in misogyny.

And as an aside, frankly, I find it difficult to
imagine that if she were a man with the same (lack
of) experience and the same personal characteristics,
she would exercise quite the same fascination over
the supporters of the opposition.

> Oh yeah, and the fact that she did not try to shove her wacky
> beliefs about creationism being taught alongside intelligent
> design down the throats of her independently oriented fellow
> Alaskans doesn't help the fact that she equates these two
> completely different positions as having equal scientific merit.

Actually, she's never said she thinks they have
equal scientific merit. For that matter, she's
never said she thinks the two are mutually
exclusive. There are scientists and religionists
who understand the two views as compatible. We
don't know enough about her religious and
scientific views to say whether she might be one
of them.

> Houston we have a big F'n problem here.

What you're saying, in essence, is that we need to
have a religious litmus test for the presidency. The
real F'n problem is that this cuts both ways: The
folks who like Sarah Palin could just as well demand
(and some have) that only committed fundamentalist/
evangelical Christians be entitled to the presidency.