--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Richard Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > Houston we have a big F'n problem here.
> > >
> Judy wrote:
> > If we spend all our energy deconstructing Sarah
> > while neglecting to do the same for McCain,
> > those who are moved to protest our treatment of
> > her by voting for the Republican ticket won't have
> > been given any reason *not* to.
> >
> Sarah Palin has more exuctive experience than Joe
> Biden and she probably has better judgement as well.
>
> Biden voted *against* gulf war 1 and the U.S. won
> the war. If we had listened to Joe Biden, Saddam
> would be in control of Kuwait and probably Saudi
> Arabia as well - Saddam would be the head of OPEC
> by now.

I agree with you, of course, Richard.

But one thing we have to admit: if the mass-murdering freedom-
violating dictator Saddam had, indeed, been left to his own devices
and was, today, in control of both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, as you
hypothesize above, 50% of the populations of both of those countries
would be freer -- MUCH freer -- than they are today.

I'm talking of course, about the women of those two countries.  For
all his murderous faults, Saddam was for equality of the sexes and
for the elimination of pretty much all those horrible things that
middle eastern countries are known for vis a vis mistreating their
women.

This is a legitimate point to make because it is the Bush
Administration that keeps reminding us -- and rightly so -- how much
that they have done for the women of Afghanistan, freeing them from
the misogynistic suppression of the Taliban.

Well, folks, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the Taliban are all pretty much equal-
opportunity repressors of women...and Saddam would no doubt have made
the lot of women much, much better in both Kuwait and Saudi Arabia,
just as he did in Iraq.

You know, there was a cute sort of observation I once heard about 20
years ago:  Who was the greatest feminist of the 20th century?

The answer was: General Douglas MacArthur.

Why?  Because with the stroke of a pen, he gave the vote and equality
to 50 million Japanese women when he ran Japan as pretty much its
absolute ruler after the surrender.  He transformed 50 million women
from the status of, essentially, chattel, to the legal equality of
men.  Overnight.

In that sense, one of the 20th century's great feminists, we must
conclude, was Saddam Hussein.