--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I meant to comment on this post when it first appeared but I was
> unable to as I was over that week (or banned for overposting, can't
> remember which).
>
> I was a student at MIU when Nova ran this show.  MIU faculty taped
> the show and then showed it to us in the Learning Center (that big,
> round building, I think).
>
> What struck me was something that no one else seemed to notice -- not
> faculty, not students -- was that the TM SUBJECTS THAT WERE BEING
> STUDIED WERE INSTRUCTED TO BE SUPINE, that is half-vertical, when
> they hooked them up to the monitoring devices.
>
> Well, I don't know about anyone else but those aren't the
> instructions for TM; TM is done in the sitting up position and if
> they were studying the effects of TM on people practising TM in that
> position, they weren't researching TM but something else.
>
> No wonder they got different results.
>
> Anyway, I tried to point that out but no one thought it very
> important.

It may or may not be important. However, Vaj either deliberately or
unconsciously put out ad-copy rhetoric concerning the contrast between
TM EEG and Buddhist compassion meditation EEG (Perhaps I do too, so this
was a parody?). One thing to note is that the TM focus has been on distinctions
between TM and normal states of consciousness. However, researchers learned
over the years that TM wasn't any one state, but myriad states, the most
striking of which is the TC state. More recently, Travis has noted that there is
a ceiling effect on global  EEG coherence *during* TM that occurs within a few
months but that the coherence outside TM continues to trend upwards for many
decades, which goes along with MMY's analogy (Shankara's actually) of dying
a cloth gold and letting it fade in the sun.

One interesting thing to note is that the TM folk, for all their blatant True
Believerism
in advertising, tend to present the actualy *Science* in a carefully neutral
way.

However, Vaj's favorite Buddhist researchers tend to conflate their belief
system
and their findings in rather obvious ways. FOr example, the first study on
Buddhist
COmpassion Meditation touted the extreme levels of gamma EEG coherence
that were related literearly to the level of experience of the subject. A
subsequent
study found that even more experienced subjects actualy showed that the trend
*reversed* itself "as expected." I admit to not having read the first paper
carefully,
but I dont' recall ANY discussion of how they expected this strking linear
relationship
to suddenly reverse itself with even more experienced meditators, though it no
doubt IS predictable from a purely physiological POV, assuming that the Buddhist
meditation changes follow the pattern of other learned/trained behavior:

when you get better at something, your brain becomes more efficient at
accomplishing the same task with less resources.

My point is NOT that the TM researchers aren't biased, but only that they DO
admit to being biased, and DO admit to having their pet theories changed, while
the BUddhist meditation researchers seem more inclined to push their theories as
never having changed.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if you could see the same pattern
in TM
research from 35 years ago when it was first starting out. The earliest studies
were all full of hype and certainty about what they were seeing, and the
researchers
no doubt had blinders on any research that drew their original findings into
question.

That changed gradually over the years. Kesterson's findig that the "breath
suspension" state during TM wasn't really breath suspension and that it was NOT
a sign of extremely reduced metabolism, was a bit of a shock to everyone.

Kieth Wallace acknowledged that in his book, The Physiology of Enlightenment,
though he didn't discuss the philosophical/emotional/political issues behind
the scenes that no doubt  accompanied the public change in TM theory.

TM theory is STILL evolving. Travis is contributing a chapter to a book where he
notes, contradicting earlier research and theory  by ALexander, that the TM
signs
of enlightenment don't dovetail nearly as nicely as they used to think with
conventional signs of ego-maturity.

No doubt Buddhist meditation research will show the same kind of changes over
the years as well, as the Believers start to learn that they don't really
understand
too much about what they are seeing with the currently crude instruments.

With brain-research, the instruments are ALWAYS going to be crude, until such
time as we can simulate a real brain, which is many decades, if not centuries,
off.

Lawson