--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2009, at 7:55 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> >> I don't see that. These guys who are at the forefront of their fields
> >> have their reputations on the line with every study they publish. It
> >> behooves them to uphold the highest standards of practice.
> >>

> > So the fact that Davidson literally wrote teh book on the
> > significance of
> > EEG asymmetry doesn't imply he's more likely bound to theories that
> > support his published work, as opposed to theories and research that
> > call into question his work?
> >
> > Jujst about every philsopher of science I'm familiar with from Kuhn
> > to Lakatos
> > points out the exact opposite: established figures in a field tend
> > to be
> > the least open-minded about theories and studies  that conflict with
> > their own
> > theories and findings.
>

> If a researcher is truly interested in rigorously applying a null
> hypothesis--in other words if s/he has some integrity--s/he should be
> looking for whatever they can to find what might falsify it, to the
> point of being hypervigilant.
>
> I would suspect the opposite of what you describe could be true in
> honest inquiry.

So why do you think someone is honest while someone else is dishonest?

Fact is, both the experienced, famous researcher, and the True Believer have
reasons to cling to a certain world view. THat doesn't make them worse or
better, only points out the possibility that both can fall into the same trap.