On Feb 14, 2009, at 7:47 PM, ruthsimplicity wrote:

> I really would like to see them research "unstressing."

I couldn't agree more, I've always felt this would be a fascinating
opportunity to study meditation. Back when the TMSP was first
introduced would have been the opportune time, less so now. Although
the IA course, when in full swing, could represent such an opportunity.

This seems especially important after reading Austin. He comments of
the negative effects of closed eyes meditation vs. opened eyes
meditation in people with depression--essentially a meditatively
induced SAD. Closed eyes meditation screws with our ACTH and melatonin
cycles. No surprise sleep disturbances are common. Could it lead to
suicide if overused ("rounding") and therefore be required to contain
a "warning label"? Is that what happened on the European course where
the whole course went whacko? What is the biochemistry behind that?

Also with the discovery of neuroplasticity and the fact that calcium-
signaling pathways in neurons can regulate transcription, there are
new reasons why the study of "unstressing" could be quite fascinating.