I tend to forgive the house buyers who took out the loans for houses
they couldn't afford, because the housing market was tremendously
puffed up by the selling of the derivatives.  Folks were seeing
everyone all around them making money on their home equity increases,
and if greed overcame their ability to set a reasonable financial plan
for themselves, it is quite understandable, but the banks are the ones
who pushed these thousands of homeowners-to-be to trust the
equity-profit-trends even though they knew they were ballooned out of
all proportion and that the prices these folks were paying for a house
was ALREADY INFLATED BEYOND ALL PROPRIETY.  The banks just churned the
suckers.

They say there's 19,000,000 VACANT houses right now on the market.
When the boom began, a good portion of those houses were on the market
then too -- supply was way beyond demand, but housing prices increased
because the derivative market puffed them up.

I think Obama is dealing with the devil and doing stuff he'd rather
not do but it's a triage situation.  I think he's just now getting
traction and clarity about what he can reasonably expect to accomplish.

I keep waiting for Obama to really test his political clout; waiting
for him to support marijuana legalization, taking away tobacco and
alcohol subsidies, passing disgorgement laws, increasing gas-guzzler
surtaxes, etc.  I want him to really have a good old fashioned tiff
and hold his breath until he gets what he wants.  "Hold his breath"
means getting his true believers politically active and hounding the
ass of any congress person or senator who stands in the way.

I think the real test of Obama is coming with the elections of 2010 --
there is where we'll see if the residual repugs are tossed out of
office for being such bastards for Obama to contend with in his first
year of office.  That, or Jim Bunning turns Democrat and Steward
Smally finally gets declared MN's senator -- if Obama gets control of
the Senate, maybe then he'll come out with far more controversial stances.

Edg