> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
> > > What is that underlying motivation?
> >
> > Making the few people sticking to the belief system
> > believe that TM is finally becoming "mainstream", as
> > Paul naively parroted in the news conference. The
> > triumphalist dream has finally come and the whole
> > world will recognize how brilliant this tiny group
> > of believers are.
>
> I have to agree.

Eh, its certainly a factor but...

> This is a move aimed at what really provides
> the income for the TM movement -- True Believers.
> With Maharishi gone, the people stuck with trying
> to run a dying movement have realized that they
> have to do something -- anything -- to "reinspire"
> the Previously Faithful so that they will become
> Faithful again and start writing those checks.
>
> In other words, it's a self-importance thang.

Sure, but there's a "higher purpose" than simply
getting people to donate the money. It's money for
"a worthy cause" that all participants agree with that
is the key here:

> Too many people "leaving the fold?" Give them an
> aging rock star or two. Initiations at near-zero
> and contributions drying up? Make them feel all
> special as if they are the only ones who can save
> the world.

Yep, but...

> Hey, it worked for Maharishi for decades, right? :-)

For quite a while, yes. And he ensured it would continue to
work by making his most regular donors "rajas" who were special
in the eyes of the rest of the organization.

You see cynical manipulation of the masses. I see enlightened awareness
of how to get people to do something that is (presumably) good for them
and the rest of Humanity.

As HHTDL says: they use rituals and pomp and circumstance in Tibetan
Buddhism "because it works."

Lawson