--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> > As for the program itself, I wish it well. I really
> > do think that kids would benefit from learning a
> > simple form of meditation while still kids. That the
> > form of meditation being proposed is TM I think is
> > problematic because I honestly believe that the way
> > it's taught and explained in followup talks is
> > religously-based and thus inappropriate for American
> > schools given the Constitution and the clear wishes
> > of America's founding fathers. But the courts will
> > decide that.
>
> What other form of meditation would you propose? No other organization is
> more capable, willing or funded enough to tackle a project of the magnitude
> proposed by the TMO. No one else has ever come forward with the resources or
> a plan to teach as many kids ANY meditation technique.
>
> The TMO is well aware of the legal pitfalls to teaching TM in public schools,
> been there done that, and they have probably prepared for it. It's possible
> someone will challenge TM in the schools, and it's also possible the courts
> will rule that TM is not a religion and O.K. to teach in schools. By the time
> such a case winds its way through the court, perhaps thousands of kids will
> have learned TM.
>
> The concept of charter schools is on the rise. The Obama administration is
> eager to implement innovative programs that help kids learn in such schools.
> Charter schools as well as public schools could become a proving ground for
> the effectiveness of TM. Either way my bet is that once TM gets rolling, and
> kids are doing well with it, no one will want to stop it.

Technically charter schools (at least in AZ) are still public schools, but
(again in AZ)
they are beholden only to the state and not local, school boards, so they have
a LOT more leeway in what they can do. Each charter school is basically
a local school district in its own right, governed directly by the participants
so the local community can't dictate what is or isn't taught to those kids.

A mixed bag, to be sure.