The physiological/neurological research on TM has always been interesting and
legit because its just a straight measure of brain wave activity. The problem
has come in when there is an attempt to correlate these measure with complex
psychological traits. The worst is when you see a degree of hemispheric
coherence at some frequency and someone claims that this "means" that TM allows
you to use more of your brain and therefore you are "better" at something than
someone who doesn't have this coherence. The politics of consciousness enter
when the non-scientists or the either deceptive/naive scientists make very
self-serving statements regarding the research. This was non-physiological, but
it is like the latest research that, according to the TMO, shows that TM
reduces the symptoms of ADHD. Even the TM "scientist" David Orme-Johnson
claimed this and it is just patently false. The design of the study does not
allow you to conclude this at all, primarily
 because there was no control group and each subject functioned as there own
control. If you know anything about research design, such a study essentially
tells you nothing other than a bunch of students over x amount of time had a
lessening of their ADHD symptoms. Why this lessening occurred, which is the
most important question, can not be concluded because no variables have been
controlled. I would love to ask David, why he believes you can conclude that TM
is the one variable that "caused" these results when not a single variable has
been controlled.