--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Vaj wrote: I don't think most TM'ers or most meditators in any group have
> been able to achieve the 'breathless' state which is indicative of Samadhi.
>

> Vaj,
>
> Define "breathless."  Seems to me that living is living, and that means some
> use of ATP at the least.
>
> I'm guessing that "suspension of breath" merely means that the level of
> bodily excitation is so low that oxygen is not being removed from the
> bloodstream fast enough to justify inhalation "for the nonce." The body will
> take another breath when it needs to.
>
> I personally love the concept of the bricked-up-in-a-cave yogi who is only
> hanging out "by a thread."  But, however slowly it may be, the yogi is still
> processing and using oxygen.
>
> I like your stages of consciousness concepts, because I can, as if, see the
> rate-of-oxidation spectrum they comprise.
>
> But, is that the whole truth?  Do you think there's some sort of miraculous
> oxygenless format of some stage of consciousness that would be eternal --
> that is, the bricked yogi never takes another breath?
>
> Does God breathe astral oxygen?  Does prana have any utility in Vicuntha?
>
> Edg

My understanding of the "breathless" state is that there is no breathing at
all.  Of course, this cannot continue indefinitely as you would die.  Or
breath.

I think it was David Blane (not sure on spelling), the magician, ( who seems to
me to be someone who has remarkable control over the body) who managed to hold
his breath underwater for 17 minutes or thereabouts. Divers and yogis use
certain techniques to increase the ability to breath hold. Practice. And then
before a big breath hold, first you do a slow and steady filling of the lungs,
then exhalations to purge CO2 and then a final series of quick gulps of air.

Most people can learn to hold their breath for 2 or 3 minutes pretty easily,
but you shouldn't if you have ventricular abnormalities.