--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Vaj wrote: I don't think most TM'ers or most meditators in any group have
> > been able to achieve the 'breathless' state which is indicative of Samadhi.
> >

> > Vaj,
> >
> > Define "breathless."  Seems to me that living is living, and that means
> > some use of ATP at the least.
> >
> > I'm guessing that "suspension of breath" merely means that the level of
> > bodily excitation is so low that oxygen is not being removed from the
> > bloodstream fast enough to justify inhalation "for the nonce." The body
> > will take another breath when it needs to.
> >
> > I personally love the concept of the bricked-up-in-a-cave yogi who is only
> > hanging out "by a thread."  But, however slowly it may be, the yogi is
> > still processing and using oxygen.
> >
> > I like your stages of consciousness concepts, because I can, as if, see the
> > rate-of-oxidation spectrum they comprise.
> >
> > But, is that the whole truth?  Do you think there's some sort of miraculous
> > oxygenless format of some stage of consciousness that would be eternal --
> > that is, the bricked yogi never takes another breath?
> >
> > Does God breathe astral oxygen?  Does prana have any utility in Vicuntha?
> >
> > Edg
> >
> My understanding of the "breathless" state is that there is no breathing at
> all.
> Of course, this cannot continue indefinitely as you would die. Or breathe.
>
> I think it was David Blane (not sure on spelling), the magician, ( who seems
> to me to be someone who has remarkable control over the body) who managed to
> hold his breath underwater for 17 minutes or thereabouts. Divers and yogis
> use certain techniques to increase the ability to breath hold. Practice. And
> then before a big breath hold, first you do a slow and steady filling of the
> lungs, then exhalations to purge CO2 and then a final series of quick gulps
> of air.
>
> Most people can learn to hold their breath for 2 or 3 minutes pretty easily,
> but you shouldn't if you have ventricular abnormalities.

Quite a few years ago, the TM researchers admitted that the "breath suspension"
state during TM was only apparent. There's several studies that have looked
at the state in-depth and I'm pretty sure I've cited all of them here more than
5 times
each. The "big three" citations follow:

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/44/2/133

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/46/3/267