On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Rick Archer <r...@searchsummit.com> wrote:
> There's a lot of truth in that. I and others got kicked out of the TM
> movement for beginning to think independently without worrying about the
> possible consequences. A while after this happened to me, I was chatting on
> the phone with a fellow who at one time had been my best friend. I was
> expressing this ambivalent, all possibilities attitude about Maharishi - that
> there was no need to take all his pronouncements as absolutes, that much of
> what he said and did may have been expressions of cultural conditioning and
> personal idiosyncrasies rather than cosmic perspectives. If we had been
> meeting in person, I'm sure I would have seen the color drain from his face.
> His voice sounded "ashen" and he quickly terminated the call. He hasn't
> returned a phone call or an email since then.

I never thought independently that Maharishi was a god or spoke the
truth of the gods.  It was the initiators, in advanced lectures and on
residence courses who told us that Maharishi spoke from the home of
all the laws of nature and therefore spoke only the truth, that which
is true on every level of creation, as perceived from every state of
consciousness.

How did it all start, this business that Maharishi could speak only
the truth, that which was true at every level, from every vantage
point?  Was it Maharishi himself who said this and encouraged his
belief or was it his BN followers?

Art imitates life.  I remember the reporter from the Village Voice
telling Alfie in Annie Hall that people consider Maharishi God.  That
millions of people would crawl on their hands and knees across the
country merely to be able to touch the hem of his garment.   My
meditator friends and I laughed and laughed when we saw that scene.
While my friends and I were laughing, it appears the hardcore TMers
were going off to TTC and Six Month courses to be with He they
believed were God.

Is that the way it is?  Would TM have been better if Maharishi didn't
have all of these BN initiators?